Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Ongoing Troubles with Google (or the Evil Overlords of Our Personal Information)

Let me start by saying that I have a Gmail account. I've had this account since before the installation of their Google+ Facebook rip-off, social-media-wannabe feature that basically facilitates, or rather INSTIGATES, the connection between your email, YouTube and any other Google owned media sites onto one dashboard.

YouTube was never owned by Google until recently, and now you must, I repeat MUST link your email account to your YouTube account to continue accessing it. Now, when this was initially implemented, I was fine with it. I linked my YouTube account with no issues. Or so I thought.

The simple act of linking my account opened me up a Google+ account. At that time I had NO CLUE what Google+ was, and upon further inspection (basically clicking on it and reading the synopsis on the main page), I realized that this was NOT for me. I am not a social media person, I don't have a Twitter, or a Facebook, or anything that puts my personal information, birth date, picture, or location anywhere on the Internet. I'll site the newly discovered NSA shit-storm as reference for why. 

So, after deciding that I did not want, I found a way (via the Internet, not the useless, good for nothing Google Help forums), to unlink the Google+ account from YouTube and then deactivate it entirely. Phew. I sent them an email telling them that they should not just sign people up for services they do not choose themselves, and that it was insidious and disgusting. Three full days later - Apologies.


Then, about a month ago, the geniuses at YouTube allowed you to use SPACES in your account name!! Hooray! Fucking imbeciles. So my YouTube name is... TheFantasticSpazzomatic. I only needed TWO SPACES!! Guess what happens. Those two spaces cost me my whole YouTube account. Changing the name of my YouTube account, ONCE AGAIN opened me a Google+ account. I was furious, so I deleted the Google+ account, inadvertently DELETING MY FUCKING YOUTUBE ACCOUNT! Tell me how that fucking happens? Well here it is, when they opened the Google+ account, a box was automatically checked in my settings, linking the Google+ account to my YouTube channel. Basically - if you delete the Google+ account, the YouTube channel goes, too! Great! Wonderful! 

I. Was. LIVID.

 

So, this time around, when I go to the Help Page to Contact someone, the contact email link is magically gone. It says, and I quote:

" If you need help, please visit our Help Center. There you'll find answers to many common questions about creating an account, watching and uploading videos, and maintaining your channel.
If you're unable to find what you're looking for in the Help Center, we suggest visiting our Community Help Forum. Experiencing a bug? Take a look at our Current Site Issues page to see a list of known issues we're working to fix."

No where is there a link to click to send any one an email, if your problems are, say, special, new or unheard of before. Nope, to Google, you're problems are all the same. So finally, by using the Internet (would you believe I am still using Google as my search engine?), I got an email address and sent someone at YouTube my issue. It has been over a month and I still have NOT gotten my old YouTube account back and every time I reply I get the same "I'm sorry, we're working on it", email back. So at this point, as I don't upload or anything, I'm willing to call it a loss and move on. I'm also thinking of deleting my Gmail account and going somewhere that doesn't MAKE me do anything I don't want to do, or use services I don't WANT to use, just because you tell me I HAVE to.

I basically wanna "Bye, bitch" Google right now.

I'm done, right? Nah. I got my Mom a new phone, her first smart phone so she was excited about touch screens and apps and stuff. On her particular phone, the apps are downloaded through Google Play (*sobs*), so I linked her existing Gmail account to Google Play and downloaded Candy Crush Saga for her. That's all I did, I swear. Two days later, she gets an email saying "Welcome to YouTube!"
 ..................
So since my own account is is limbo, and there is no contact link on YouTube's help page, I sent a reply to the man who is helping me and explained it all to him. 

I'm just done. I really am. To have a company force you through round-about ways to use all their services when you only want to use one is ridiculous. They assume that  -
a) You won't notice and when you do you won't look into to it or bother deleting it or, 
b) You don't mind and will be endeared to the service, or just keep it because you have better things to do. 

But it just turns me off of all things Google and makes me suspicious of their practices. The insidious service pushing? The lack of a contact link? The fact is that once you become a Google user you're basically on your own. You must look to forums filled with other confused users posting questions in hopes of someone from tech support coming to their rescue, or some other user who had to fend for themselves, to give them directions on how to fix their problems. And who the fuck wants Google+, anyway? Twitter is hotter than ever and people are loyal to Facebook. Also, Google+ is a fucking pain in the ass to type, as I've typed it a total of one hundred times in here. It sucks. Google sucks and my rant is over. Here's some music...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment